August 22, 2008

Flood Fay and Olympic Mania

no pictures tonight! Just a half hour alone on blogger before I head home.
Two quick things on my mind to post about tonight...

#1) Trop. Storm Fay, also known as FLOOD FAY around these parts. So I guess we should comment on this, since several are wondering ...We are all okay from this crazy storm. We have had more rain this week than ever seen in our area, so we hear, but the wind was only bad the beg. of the week. School was cancelled for 2 days in our county, not that that affects me this year :-) Noah and I have been riding low this week, staying inside ALL day and keeping dry. It has been VERY HARD to not go outside and play in the puddles...er....ocean in our front yard. If you have been praying for me this week, you now know why. But we have made it through, he and I. Matt has been the lonely one at the office this week, and for once I don't blame him for driving to work each day. (we live just a hop and a skip, not even a jump, from the church.) The towns just north and just south of us had major drainage problems, so they are totally flooded. Our town probably averaged 15 inches, and only the neighborhoods are badly flooded. We went to Walmart last night and only the first 5 spots in every row were usable because the rest of the lot had 1-2 feet of water in it. So, that's that. Today was sunny and the water has finally begun to recede a bit. We are lucky we had no damage, just inconvenience. With the rest of hurricane season ahead...

#2.) The Olympics. It's a darn good thing that the Olympic Games are nearing an end, because I haven't been able to do ANYTHING else the last 2 weeks but watch the various events. Am I alone in this? I think our satellite t.v. gets like 4 channels that covered it. I have watched just about everything. (Where does one sign up for handball, by the way? I could have done that!) And because we are on East coast, that usually means staying up till 1 or 2 a.m. to catch the main events. This has totally messed up my sleeping schedule, and every morning I'm DRAGGING, literally begging Noah to take his nap early. And yet, the next night, I'm back on the couch. It is A.D.D.I.C.T.I.V.E. Matt finally got hit with the bug last night--he stayed up to watch the men's volleyball semis ag. Russia. Till nearly 3 a.m.! I thought for sure when he told me, they had taken gold... but then when I heard it was just the SEMIs, I laughed.

My favorites happened mostly the first week: gymnastics and beach volleyball. And of course, the Michael Phelps swimming saga. Which I am actually guilty of texting my husband about while he was away at a Cubs game. I watched the near-miss Fly race Live and couldn't wait for him to get home to tell him about the 1/100th of a second, come-from-behind Miracle. But this week is synchronized diving, which I think is the coolest by far. One of the only sports I can watch non USA people perform. And I have to admit that not only do I feel glued to the tube with these events, but I tear up at just about every game point/wall touch/dismount. It is RIDICULOUS. I do not know where the emotion comes from. I guess from the sheer passion and drive it takes atheletes to compete at this level. So, with that being said, here I come, London 2012 Handball Tournament!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Two things. #1 I'm glad you're safe. #2 I'll be your handball trainer and coach.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you. Dad and I watch all we could which was every evening. Ours started at 7:00 but we stayed up until it was over. The USA basketball game for gold was aired at 1:30 a.m. Sunday morning. Dad was going to tape it. I woke up at 2:30 and he woke up about the same time so we watched the rest of the game. Shall we start saving money for London? Mom