January 08, 2009

Houston, We Have Takeoff...

SO HERE WE ARE!!!

Noah and I spending New Year's Eve together;
Noah, ready to go play tennis with Daddy.

It has been a long two months since we first found our we were coming to Houston, with all the emotions you might expect during that time: joy/happiness, but sadness, excitement and anticipation but also doubt and uncertainty, hope for the future but some regret over the past, feeling encouraged at times but disapointed at others, peace from God and yet anxiety (still human). There have been good things and not-so-good things that we've had to deal with, but overall, it has been a very smooth transition. And we are very thankful for that. Thankful to God, and thankful for all of your help and prayers.

It's amazing how long it took me to pack up my entire house and how easy/quick it was to unpack once we got here.
Of course, the hard part of putting together beds and tables and such was done for me, on both ends, and probably one-third of our "stuff" is still in storage, but what we chose to bring up --to the 2nd floor--of our new apartment, is all unpacked. And THAT feels good! It really only took us the first 3 days, because there wasn't much going on around here and Matt was able to help me with Noah and the unpacking. We have one small area of our Apt that has our boxed-up wall decor, but we just have to decide what we want to put up, and how to do that without putting huge holes in the walls. But the rest of the place, including the closets (we have closets!) is all set. That's a nice feeling, the first step in feeling "settled".

Our apartment has been a pleasant surprise. I researched apts a TON, but we did not visit to check them out. I admit we were a bit worried about if it would really be as nice as it looked online...so far, I have not been disappointed with anything. We are in a 2/2 on the 2nd floor, and the bedrooms and bathrooms are "spacious" for an apt.
The living area is wider than we expected and the ceilings are an extra foot or two high, so that makes it feel bigger! Here's a shot of the work in progress, it's all I've got of the living room right now.
The biggest thing that makes it feel bigger is an extra little section on the end of the living room, called a sunroom---aka, my office/craft place. It's almost the size of our old office room!
The kitchen is smallish, but as long as we're not all 3 in there at once, it's not bad. Short on the cabinet storage, but that's to be expected.
But the closets are all large and we even have our first coat closet by the door. There's extra storage in our mini laundry room and a good sized linen closet in the 2nd bathroom. Here's a shot of our master bath
--I'm still working on Noah's bathroom, but will post soon--it's gonna be pretty cute!
So we're set! We just got the cable and internet hooked up Tues, and that has been a big help---Noah was really missing his little cartoon shows, like Dora and Blues Clues and of course, the "Up and Down Show!". Oh, bytheway, we are only on a 3 month lease, and we're hoping to be able to start the loan process and looking for a house by the beg. of Feb...maybe, we'll see.

Church was good on Sunday. Contemporary music, I only knew 2 of the 5 songs, actually. It will take a while to get used to the differences, but it was good to be in the worship service and get a feel for the size, spirit and attitudes of the church people. Normally, the teens have their separate service during the adults service time. Sunday we were allowed to join them. We met alot of people, and I remember most all of their names! We went out to eat with a group of the youth staff adults and then had some fellowship time with one couple at our aprt. that night.

Matt has been working at the church each day this week and yet claims he has gotten very little "work" done. Everyone has been great, helping him learn how they do things around here and a few planning meetings/conversations for an upcoming Winter Retreat...but other than that, it's just learning names, procedures, and a long lunch out to a restaurant each day (gee, that's rough) ...oh, and setting up his office. It's a good sized office at the end of a hall, just a bit away from the rest of the offices--which will be good for him, once everyone .... how do I say this... gets back to their own work instead of having to help him ? Does that sound too rude? It's very nice for him to have so many people checking on him, but at the same time, he says he hasn't had a solid hour to himself the whole week. He doesn't do very well with distractions--he works best , at least preparing messages and things, when he gets a chunk of time all to himself, quiet. I'm the same way. That would drive ME crazy! So like I said, eventually, it may be nice for him to be dooown the hall where he is.

I've enjoyed this week and being able to leisurely check out the area and check things off my to-do list each day. Like, for instance, put together our little office area at the end of our living room, do ALL our laundry, go grocery shopping, go shopping for new bathroom curtains/rugs, post office run, and today, Mother's Day Out! I'm going to love this program--it's a day care situation from 9a-2p each Tues. and Thurs., and it's "free" to pastoral staff (apart of our benefits, that is). I haven't had time to myself like that, during the day, for that long, since....I don't KNOW WHEN! I'm going to spend a few days getting errands done, and then hopefully this may be the time that I can find a job--Tues/Thurs., that is. Oh, it would be so nice if I could just enjoy the twice weekly Day Out as ME time!!!

My mom is coming this next Wed. to stay with us a week and to help us by watching Noah while Matt and I go to the first big event for the youth here--the yearly Winter Retreat. It is apparently the biggest thing they do here, and is a 4 day retreat into the "mountains" of Texas (I don't honestly know where they go, except that it is usually quite cold) She will be here a week, so hopefully we'll get to go see a few things in Houston while she's here, like the Zoo or the Children's Museum. I've been dying to see what it's like! It will also be really nice to have my mom here to visit. I look forward to all our family visiting.

I know it's pretty much illegal to right this long of a post and not include pictures, but I'm just too tired tonight. I'll add some tomorrow when I get a chance, probably before any of you even read this. If you do, check back for pics soon.

Love you all! We have new numbers, by the way, check your emails tomorrow.

2 comments:

CandJay said...

Well congrats on the move girl. I have always wondered what Texas would be like. It sounds like God has you where he wants you and that is a really good thing. Enjoy your all the new things life brings you there and give that little Noah a squeeze:) Jayci

Carrie said...

Hey!!!!! Your apt is so cute! It totally looks nice! I love all of the new bathroom stuff! I ESPECIALLY love Noah's!!! That's SO fun!!! p.s. funny title :) p.p.s. I love that Noah peeks in a couple of pictures. . . Love you!