September 30, 2007

September 30/Lazy Days of Summer

I feel like writing a quick post that's going to actually be more about me than about Noah. I hope that's okay. I'm sure that all 5 of my blog readers won't mind, just this once.

Today is the last day of September. Where DOES time go? As I think about how fast life seems to be flying by these days, I'd just like to say ... although I can't seem to hold on to the time, life is... good right now. Great, really. I am enjoying this season of my life. I wish that we were EXPERIENCING a little more of the FALL season down here in FL, because I LOVE Fall the most, but that's the trade we make for year round golf weather. It's hard to remember that it is practically October, when the 80 degree weather and rain outside is more reminescent of a summer/July storm. It has rained nearly every day for like 2 weeks. Our yard is almost flooded to the porch. I guess there's a tropical depression or something out there.

It is especially different this fall since I didn't go back to school. School starting is always the wake-up call for me that summer if over and fall is in full swing. Okay, duh, that may sound kind of obvious to you, but see the thing is, without work--let me clarify-- without working a 9-5 type of job, (I can tell you for sure, that being a stay-at-home-mom IS a full time+ job!) without a job that requires me to be showered, make-up on/dressed and out the door by 7:45 a.m., life still seems kind of like...summer to me. I can stay up as late as I want every night, sleep in late, have company on a Tuesday, run down to Miami to go to a Cubs game with my husband on a Thursday night, etc. Most days I don't get a shower until near noon, when Noah lays down for his nap. If I don't have somewhere to go in particular, I often wear very casual clothes, and don't always put makeup on till I'm heading out the door...I have to look at a calendar each day and remind myself what day it is. See, like summer. Those of you who aren't teachers may not understand how this is, but this is what summers are like to me. And this is how I'm experiencing this new season of my life. Every day is a "play day"; I take Noah swimming, on walks and field trips around town; I can pick up and go with Matt out of town if he has a meeting somewhere. It's been very nice. I could really get used to this.

All that being said, there is something inside of me that is telling me I need to begin to get into more of a schedule so that I don't miss out on this time I have at home. I know that it in no way is guaranteed to always be like this, and there are several things I need to do to take advantage of this time while Noah is young and rather "easy" to entertain. I need to take a few online classes for teaching/update my certification, catch up on a few personal things, like scrapbooking, maybe even learn how to do a few things better--like getting our finances in order, and cooking. I actually enjoy making dinner for Matt each evening because I have the time to plan a meal, go shopping, and fix everything in more than just 30 minutes. I am also getting ready to start teaching piano to a girl at church and possibly tutoring. So add these things to my part time work at the church and of course full time Noah's mommy, and my plate is plenty full. But I NEED some amount of discipline and routine in my life, because I am not naturally self-disciplined and without a schedule, I tend to get pretty lazy about certain things. Speaking of lazy days...

I'm excited that the t.v. shows are finally back on with new episodes, even tho I pretty much missed premiere week due to a few things going on here...I'm sure I'll catch up. There are only a few shows I expect to find time to watch this year: The Office, Grey's Anatomy, and...gee, is that it? Matt and I look forward to the new seasons of 24 and we are a tiny bit interested to see how Lost plays out, although we're not as tied to it as before.

It is literally POURING rain outside. Every year I forget JUST HOW RAINY it is here in FL during hurricane season.

Back to the fall thought...I finally put up a few leafy decorations and the ever-so-yummy pumpkin spice candles...so I feel just a little bit more in the mood despite the lack of extracurricular job and greatly missed sweater weather. I'm gonna pick up a new box of apple cider and supplies to bake homemade cookies, buy my plane tickets for Christmas, and put on some good jazz music to round out the season. I hope that all of you in places much cooler than here ENJOY the static charge you get as you pull those sweaters over your head and slip on your boots. I'll just keep enjoying my days with the boy and my flip flops.(sorry about all the runon sentences.)

2 comments:

Sherry said...

Take advantage of it. It sounds absolutely delightful. I am like you though-if I don't have something on my agenda...why should I get dressed and ready to go?

Carrie said...

Well get ready for Nebraska and bring all your sweaters you have up in the attic! It's really not very fallish here either. . .it's been in the 80s :) I went golfing today w/ a girl! Can't wait to see you guys! Cute new pics of Noah!

Maybe the lack of self-discipline is a Hays thing cause I have to really discipline myself or I could sleep all day and get nothing done!