September 02, 2007

Alphabet Soup...the Missing...

This last week we took a hiatus from the weekly alphabet soup. The lady that started it also does a "Woman to Woman" writing day that coincided with her weekly word play, so she took a week's break and will be back at it the middle of this week with the letter G. As I've let my mind wonder ahead to the next letter, I've also enjoyed remembering the "LESS than favorites" of the past month that DIDN'T make the list. Sometimes the things I DON'T like are much easier to think of than the good ones. So for fun, I thought I'd let you inside my brain..

Here you have the Alphabet Soup from A-F for the things that make me want to groan, whine, stomp my feet, pull my hair out, maybe even scream...

A is for...
Airport increases
--since we live so far from all our family and friends, this especially affects us. At holiday times, we spend nearly as much on airfare as we do on gifts for others. Now that we have a baby, we are going to feel the pain in the pocketbook even more. You better believe that we're going to have him sitting in our lap all the way up to his 2nd birthday!

B is for....
Bugbites..
specifically my baby's bugbites...the other night he got so BIT UP as we walked home from church (we live close). In a matter of about 4 minutes, he ended up with a two digit number of bites on his little tubby legs. I guess the squitos especially like that baby blood. I have felt TERRIBLE all week. There's not much you can do to help with baby's bug bites..

C is for....
Customer Service. Isn't it just the worst sometimes!?! Mostly the CSMs from our local Walmart are at the bottom of my list for this, but today a lady from Target actually got a manager to take over my transaction because she got mad at ME for...basically...understanding in full, the Target return policy...I had dragged Matt with me because I have already exceded my "2 returns without a receipt" this year (all the baby items Noah has outgrown). So as Matt stood there, with his driver's license already extended, she literally growled at us...I amazingly enough, did not get annoyed with her, until the manager had to begin the process from the very beginning due to her fleeing the scene. Ugggh.

and I can't overlook--
Cell phone (overage) charges...I'm not even going to go into how much extra money we have spent this last 5 months, between our traveling, calling family about the baby, Matt's extra phone calls due to being DP of Central Florida, etc..and now that Matt has discovered the world of text messaging, without asking me to sign us up for a plan...it's been a nightmare. And the thing is, I know we're not alone, are we?!?! Everyone has had that month of 180$ once or twice!
Right?

D is for....
Dumb people--like the ones who, when hearing I was born in New Mexico, tell me 'yeah, you look Mexican', or "when did that become a state?" and those who felt the need to analyze my weight gain during my pregnancy and comment on it--'girl, you look like you're gonna pop...you're only 6 months pregnant? You look like you should have the baby any day now'-----and now that I'm on the other side, there's the people who tell me my baby "sure is a good eater" and "are you sure he's only 3...or 4...or 5...months?" and then there are the MEN from my church who ask me--"so I hear you're breastfeeding...how's it going?" It's like Alan Jackson says, "Here's your sign." D is for all ya'll.

E is for...
Eggnog. Eggs overeasy...Eggs sunny side up. Any kind of egg that is still runny or undercooked. Yuck. Yes, I know, cookie dough and cake batter have uncooked egg...but they're not ooey gooey egg yolky, that's what grosses me out.

and finally...
F is for Ferber. The guy who says we should methodically train our children to cry themselves to sleep so that one day they will be able to soothe themselves back to sleep with out mommy or daddy's assistance. Of course the hope of getting even a 4-hour block of sleep back is too entising to dismiss. I'm sure that at some point in the future I may be singing his praises, but after my weekend alone with my baby, I would just like to say that if I could, I would probably strangle the guy.

F is also for Fisher Price--the RECALL on Noah's once beloved infant Rainforest Take-Along swing states that the child may "shift his weight to one side and become caught between the swing and the bar, causing an entrapment hazard." Oh really? That is exactly what happened to us, but a good month or two BEFORE the item was recalled. And it was at least another month before I heard about the recall. THANKFULLY, when it happened to us, I had just stepped into the other room and was able to help him before he got hurt. These picture show what we once thought was cute...Noah wiggling around...and of course, he wasn't buckled in when these pix were taken--(we were sitting there with him.) but he WAS buckled in when he got trapped between the bars and had his head banging against the side. They're just lucky I'm not filing a lawsuit. My refund check FINALLY came in the mail a few days ago, after 6 weeks of waiting...for some reason I'm not just rushing out there to by more Fisher Price toys just yet.
So that's my list of Dislikes from A-F....Hope you enjoyed reading my venting as much as I enjoyed doing it. Don't worry, now I'm gearing up for the positive stuff again with G...

2 comments:

Carrie said...

You make me laugh. . .

Sherry said...

sometimes you just gotta get it out:). Those were great. I hear you on the cry to sleep idiot. I don't think he has any kids.